Well, I had my heart set on takeout from Istanbul Grill tonight but they’re apparently closed on Mondays. You’d think I’d know that… It’s like my favorite takeout place! After sulking for a few minutes, I decided to get creative with what I had in my kitchen – which wasn’t much!
I could’ve made yet another grilled cheese but I probably ate at least 10 this weekend and I figured my body could use something green. Enter my $1.00 produce find from this week’s West Side Market trip… Baby Arugula.
Olive & Baby Arugula Salad
- 1 serving baby arugula
- Pitted Kalamata olives - Rita’s, stand G-10
- Heini’s Raw Milk Cheddar – AnneMarie’s Dairy, stand H-4
- Pepita seeds - Mediterranean Imported Foods, NW corner of market
- Cashews, unsalted
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
1. Toss arugula with olives, cheddar, pepitas and cashews.
2. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar. Seriously, drizzle. (Unless you’re using a vinaigrette, you only need a very light dressing.)
3. Serve with warm bread. (If you want to get nutty with the olives like I did, try the Olive Sourdough from Mediterra.)
Pepitas are a good source of iron, copper, vitamin K, and vitamins B-1, B-2 and B-6.