Red Beans & Rice
- 20 ounces mixed red beans – give or take
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 bulb garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper – more or less to taste
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- Salt & Pepper to taste
1. Soak beans in a covered bowl of water for 8 hours or overnight. Drain and rinse.
2. Add to crock pot: beans, green pepper, onion, garlic, bay leaves, cayenne pepper, paprika, salt and pepper. Fill the crock pot with water, leaving at least an inch of room from top of pot.
3. Cook on high until beans are cooked through, stirring occasionally. Beans should take about 6-8 hours to fully cook. If broth does not thicken up, cook for last hour uncovered.
4. When beans are almost completely cooked, add chopped cilantro to the bean mixture and begin cooking rice on stovetop. I highly recommend using a whole grain rice – not instant rice! Try Narrin’s Spices Seven Grains rice from the West Side Market.
5. Top with the best hot sauce in town – Blaze Gourmet‘s #9! Other toppings might include: shredded cheddar, avocado, sour cream, fresh lime juice.
This recipe can also be done in a stockpot in about 2 hours.